Re: Fatal Installer Error

Quentin Christensen

Without knowing the contents of the error message, it's basically impossible to tell what it was.

It could have been a legitimate program which updates in the background.  Or, as I sometimes do - something I started six hours ago and got distracted and forgot.  Or there is of course a chance of something malicious..  If you're worried, run a virus scan.

When you get an error like that, depending on the situation and who you might send it to, you can:
- Take a screenshot (Press the print screen key) - you can then paste that into an email to send somewhere (not accessible, but potentially useful to a sighted person).
- On some dialogs you can press CONTROL+C and it will copy the text from the dialog.  I only discovered that relatively recently.  For instance, I just opened notepad, typed one character and pressed alt+f4.  When the dialog querying whether to save came up, I pressed control+c.  Here is what it copied:

[Window Title]
Notepad

[Main Instruction]
Do you want to save changes to Untitled?

[Save] [Don't Save] [Cancel]

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 11:59 PM Sharon <mt281820@...> wrote:

I got a fatal installer error message but I wasn’t installing anything.

I shut the window because I got frightened without reading the message.

Could I find that message anywhere.

I’m not sure if it was a windows message or some other program message, and I wouldn’t know how to really tell the difference. Could it be in notifications, and if so, where would I go to look?

Sharon

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager