Re: In-Place Upgrade from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 - Still Possible in November 2020

Hamit Campos

Who made this Laptop? Because now you all mention remote and I can’t believe I forgot about this maybe if Dell or HP they could do something. Again you’ll perhaps loose connection a few times like Brian said but these guys would have ways to deal with that that the average person doesn’t.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 6:16 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] In-Place Upgrade from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 - Still Possible in November 2020

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 06:05 PM, Billy Inglis wrote:

if it would be possible for someone to take over my friends laptop using something like team viewer?

-
Of course it would, but if the goal is upgrading to Windows 10 that control can only be maintained up through the point that setup.exe is kicked off (or maybe a bit later) to do the upgrade.  The machine goes offline several times during the upgrade process, which will cut off the Teamviewer session, and I have very serious doubts you could reestablish it under the conditions imposed by the upgrade process, though I could be wrong about that.

It would make more sense to send the computer out for service.   My mother's facility is on full lockdown for visitors (including service providers) but not for sending goods in and out of the building.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss