Upgrading to 20H2 with Update Assistant

Jason White

I successfully upgraded my laptop to 20H2 last weekend. Windows Update didn’t show the update, so I tried Update Assistant. Unfortunately, Update Assistant failed with a 0xa0000400 error. Have others on the list encountered this issue? I don’t think it’s screen reader or braille display-related, but I might be wrong.

I searched the Web for solutions, and tried several suggestions , including making sure drivers were up to date, Disk Cleanup and disconnecting USB devices – no luck.

I then performed an in-place update with the Media Creation Tool, which worked. Note that my system was fully up to date (with the most recent cumulative update) prior to attempting the above.