Re: What's the biggest M.2 SSD that I can get for my Asus Zenbook laptop?

Hamit Campos

Ah so they are different then. My bad. I knew they were in a way but couldn't remember well enough. So to be clear and thanks for reminding me Brian. All I was origenaly saying is that as far as I had remembered it was a connector or memory difference but for the person's need I couldn't really explain because and perhaps I misread the message I thought they thought M.2 NV ME was a type of SSD if you will. I guess then to an extent it is. Thanks for the reminder. I use to really be up on these things since I watched PC Perspective and they talk a lot about these things as it's a PC hardware show.

On 10/16/2020 12:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 11:46 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
M.2 is a type of something. I think is it the memory? or the connection. It's not the SSD itself though.
-
You cannot separate the two.   An M.2 NVME SSD does, indeed, look more like a memory stick than a conventional disc drive, but that was simply an evolution in design.  SATA SSDs were developed so that you could "plug n' play" replace existing drives with SSDs.

I'm not saying that there are no differences, because there are, and M.2 NVME has significantly faster throughput.

But they're both solid state drives.  I'd say, by way of analogy, the difference between a SATA SSD and M.2 NVME SSD is akin to the difference between a 5200 RPM HDD and a 7200 RPM HDD.  Both SSD technologies are, at their heart, solid state devices just like both of the speeds of HDDs are, at their heart, spinning platter drives.

P.S.:  The drives I recently had fail were both SATA-type SSDs, Not M.2 NVME

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)