Re: How do I set Windows 10 to not lock my laptop when it goes to sleep or hibernates?

Jason White

For those who want tighter security, as I do, you can set up Windows Hello to use your laptop’s fingerprint reader – if there is one. Then you only need to enter a password if fingerprint recognition fails. I was able to enroll a fingerprint using a screen reader without much difficulty, although the prompts weren’t announced automatically as would have been preferable.

Some systems also offer face recognition, but I haven’t had a chance to try it, as I don’t own supported hardware.

From: win10@win10.groups.io <win10@win10.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2020 11:50 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] How do I set Windows 10 to not lock my laptop when it goes to sleep or hibernates?

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 03:27 AM, Chris wrote:

If you go into settings and under accounts and sign-in options you should see the option “If you’ve been away, when should Windows require you to sign in again?”

-
Just confirming what Chris says, that setting the dropdown for that particular setting to "Never" means your computer wakes up from sleep or hibernation or just even the screen having turned off, but not yet sleeping/hibernating, without any request for a password.  You're just back at wherever you were.

I've set all my machines this way for years now.

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.

       ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)