Re: Request for community help: please help convince Earthlink to minimize Groups.IO domain blacklisting in the future #groupsio

Blaster

Hi Joseph, It may be possible that groups.io isn't being blacklisted
per say, but it's just not clearing the security filters of earthlinks
mail servers. I'm not a member of a google group or a yahoo group, so
I couldn't test their mail servers. I did however, find the groups.io
mail servers don't pass DMARC security protocols. The SPF record and
DKIM records did pass, however,
many sysadmins are using DMARC as the new gold standard for mail
security. If someone could check the headers of a google or yahoo
group email and check to see if they pass the DMARC test, it would let
us know if this is fixable, or would your idea of having earthlink
white list all of groups.io be a better approach to solving this
issue. If someone at groups.io looks at the following, it may shed
some light on the problem at hand.

for a DKIM alignment to pass, the "From" domain must match the "d="
domain of the DKIM signature.
The "d=" domain is: groups.io
The "From" domain is: gmail.com

For the SPF alignment to pass the "Return-path" domain must match the
"From" domain.
The "Return-Path" domain is: groups.io
The "From" domain is: google.com

One or both of those need to match in order for DMARC to pass. Now, we
are talking about a listserv, so I'm not exactly sure on how to go
about correcting this problem, or if it can be fixed at all, but I
wanted to throw it out there for you to investigate.

HTH,
Blaster

Hi everyone,

Below is an email I received from Brian V regarding Earthlink issue a
member
of this forum cluster is having. Please follow what Brian is saying below
and help convince Earthlink to minimize Groups.IO domain blacklisting in
the
future:

Earthlink issues have been under hot and heavy discussion on the
Group Manager's Forum in topic:

<https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/help_earthlink_now_bouncing/30
181422?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,30181422>
Help: Earthlink now bouncing emails sent to *me* from Groups.io groups I
own

These are just that, Earthlink issues, and one of the most
recent
offerings pretty much sums it up:

Tell them to visit the link below and follow directions found there. The IP
address for Groups.io mail server is 66.175.222.12

<https://support.earthlink.net/articles/email/email-blocked-by-earthlink.php
https://support.earthlink.net/articles/email/email-blocked-by-earthlink.php

They can also complain to Earthlink about non-spam mail from a MAILING LIST
SERVICE like Groups.io being blocked. They don't block Yahoo or
GoogleGroups, so why Groups.io? The info for doing that can be found
here...
<https://support.earthlink.net/contact/contact.php>
https://support.earthlink.net/contact/contact.php

I suggest initiating both a live chat and a phone call. If enough do that
it
will get their attention. They need to point out that Groups.io is a
reputable and legitimate subscription mailing list service that requires
subscribers to verify their intent to subscribe by verifying their email
addresses... after which the messages from various interest groups hosted
by
Groups.io are solicited and are NOT spam. As Shal said, "Groups.io should
be
whitelisted as a legit email service."

Having worked the abuse desk for a small local ISP quite some years ago,
I'm
aghast at the careless blocking practices being employed these days... and
Gmail isn't the solution.

Users are going to have to take on a more active role in this, particularly
in complaining to their providers about blocking known e-mail list services
that can send messages to anyone if and only if they have subscribed to get
them.

Groups.io needs to be whitelisted and the more customers that complain to
their e-mail service providers about this the faster it will happen.