Re: log on, log off and shut down sounds, was there ever a solution?

The Windows Start sound is easy, just make sure fast startup is turned off and enable the Windows Startup sound in Sound settings.
The shutdown sound has to be set up as an elevated task using the task scheduler. Here are the steps which were posted and which worked for me although while it plays most of the time on my Asus Zenbook it doesn't do so 100%:

Starting in Windows 8, the Windows Shutdown sound event has been disabled. This leaves you unable to change or play the Windows Shutdown sound when a user selects to shut down the PC in Windows 10. As a workaround, you can still create an elevated task to play a sound at shutdown Windows 10.
This tutorial will show you how to play a sound at shutdown for all users in Windows 10.
You must be signed in as an administrator to create an elevated task. Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type taskschd.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Task Scheduler.
2. Click/tap on Task Scheduler Library in the left pane of Task Scheduler, and click/tap on Create Task in the right Actions pane.
3. In the General tab, type a name (ex: "Play shutdown sound") you want for this task.
4. In the General tab, select Run whether user is logged on or not.
5. In the General tab, check the Run with highest privileges box.
6. In the General tab, select Windows 10 in the Configure for drop down.
7. Click/tap on the Triggers tab, and click/tap on the New button.
8. Perform the actions below:
A) Select "On an event" in the Begin the task drop down.
B) Select "System" in the Log drop down.
C) Type "1074" (user initiated shutdown) in the Event ID drop down, and click/tap on OK.
9. Click/tap on the Actions tab, and click/tap on the New button.
10. Perform the actions below:
A) Select Start a program in the Action drop down.
B) Type "PowerShell" in the Program/script field box.
C) Enter the command below into the Add arguments field box, and click/tap on OK.
-c (New-Object Media.SoundPlayer 'C:\Windows\Media\Windows Shutdown.wav').PlaySync();
Note: If you wanted to play a sound (.wav file) of your choice instead, you can substitute C:\Windows\Media\Windows Shutdown.wav in the command above with the full path of the .wav file you want to be played.
11. Click/tap on the Conditions tab, uncheck the "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power" and click/tap on OK.
12. You will be prompted to enter your account's password, do so and click/tap on OK.
The "Play Shutdown Sound" task is now finished, and will now play a sound when the PC is shutdown.