A rather sad state for braille

Devin Prater

Hi all. I'm slightly frustrated right now, but I'lltry to keep thz objective as possible. So, I have a 2 year old and barely used Vario Ultra, and a new Braille Note Touch. The touch only works as a braille display with Waws, not with Narrator nor the more mature NVDA. This is disappointing, as NVDA's braille implimentation allows it to show formatting information in the original braille code, not the dots 7 and 8 workaround that Jaws uses. This is especally great in web pages, emails, and other rich text, because it gives text at least a little flavor from the black and whiteness of speech and unformatted braille. So, I went online and saw that yes, braille displays are important, but since the Touch is "new," it's nothing to worry about yet, even though Jaws has a driver. I suppose Narrator, the other free option, not having a driver is good for that image as well, but still, I, a user, has one, and it is 6 months, almost 7, after the last comment on that NVDA issue. It's just so frustrating how little braille is given attention in the free screen reader world. Ah well, I suppose you get what you pay for sometimes, although the way NVDA shows formatting info, using Liblouis, is quite better than Jaws, although I wonder if I change the braille table to that used in Liblouis, if Jaws's formatting showing skills would improve. I'll have to try that. But that still is no excuse for NVDA and Narrator to kind of put the Braille Note Touch on the "oh no one uses it yet so we have a long while to put this off," kind of deal.

Devin Prater

Assistive Technology Instructor in training at World Services for the BLIND, JAWS certified

Join Insiders@win10.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.